Saturday, July 7, 2012

Behind the Veil


No that's not me up there communing with the bees.  Tim Conley was kind enough to drop around with some of his gear to lend his expertise in assessing just what the heck these bees are up to.

The mystery of what the wall colony bees have been up to is revealed.  Even though Tim thought their efforts were less than impressive, I confess I was positively giddy to see that they had indeed been busy making comb and laying up pollen.  Tim also reported that there appeared to be a few queen cells but that all were 'dry' (no eggs, no honey).

Given the population that appears to be using the box, the amount of resources invested and particularly the creation of queen cells (which I take to be a sign that the population present yearns for a queen), I think it is time to try inserting a frame of eggs to see if we can a) lure the queen down, or b) give this crew a chance to make a new queen.  Either works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment